Tips to Preserve Your Wedding Dress for A Lifetime
The reality of bridesmaid dresses is that it is worn only once. No matter how expensive a dress you buy you are likely to wear it only once in your lifetime. Therefore, it becomes a headache for you to preserve it for the rest of your life if you don’t plan to donate it. Now many of you may not be familiar with the techniques to preserve a wedding dress. If you too fall in the same category, then you are lucky enough to have reached this page. We are going to provide you with the best tips following which you can preserve your wedding dress for a lifetime.
Tips to Follow:
Preserving your wedding dress is a difficult task as you need to be very gentle with it and maintain special precautions with it. It is not like handling any of your other clothes. This is why it is better to go for cheap bridesmaid dresses rather than seeing your dress getting worn out in front of your eyes.
- Make sure that you always use white cotton gloves while handling your dress. This will keep your dress safe from any dirt and dust on your hand.
- Before, you decide to clean the dress, spot test the fabric in an inconspicuous area so that it is not visible. You should check whether the fabric is getting harmed or not.
- Make use of soft bristled brushes to clean your dress. This will prevent the fabric from getting damaged. You can use old toothbrushes as well.
- You should never use bleach on your wedding gown. That’s actually a big no. bleach is known to cause irreversible damage to the fabric of the dress. If you don’t want any such thing to happen to your dress to make sure you avoid using bleach at all costs.
- Send your wedding dress for dry cleaning. Make sure that you give the responsibility to a cleaner who specializes in cleaning and washing wedding dresses.
- When your wedding gown is all clean and dry make use of acid-free tissue paper to wrap it up. You should also insert the acid-free tissue paper between the folds of the dress. Also, keep in mind not to use coloured tissue paper as it may stain the dress over time. If you are not satisfied with acid-free tissue paper then you can even use muslin.
- Put the dress in an acid-free container before putting it back on the shelf. A box is the best way to preserve your dress as it will keep it away from light and dust.
- Don’t leave your wedding dress hanging in the wardrobe with your other clothes. This will only damage your wedding dress badly as it gets bashed against other dresses.
These are some of the tips that can help you to preserve your wedding dress for an extended period. Make sure you keep all of these tips registered in your mind.